Thursday, October 16, 2014

Q 7 Months

Little dude is seven months old!  
Holy Hell.  
Again, for the umpteenth time...  I'm not ready.  Why does time have to go by so quickly?  Just when I feel like we are getting a grasp on this life of ours something comes up and throws us for a loop.  Whether it's stomach issues, our first colds of the season, or just being so stinking busy that we don't have much time to just sit and relax.  
I ended up taking his photos four days late!! I kept thinking it was supposed to happen Tuesday, so when Tuesday rolled around I realized I was supposed to have taken them on Monday.  Then I couldn't find that monkey because Lydia likes to play with it.  Finally took them Thursday afternoon after his surgery and as you can see he was a happy kid!

Quinton had his tube surgery on Thursday the 9th.  He was a ROCK STAR!  The night before he had to fast and I was soo worried what that was going to mean for us.  He woke up about 9:30pm, and normally I would just rock him back to sleep since he had only been asleep for about an hour and a half, but I wanted to fill him up so I gave him a bottle.  Then I woke him up at 11:30pm and got him to drink more.  After midnight we weren't allowed to give him anything... and he slept the whole time until I woke him at 6:30am to go!  We got to the surgery center and got all checked in.  They took us back to a room with a recliner where we were given all our instructions and told what was going to happen.  The entire time all the nurses were of course fawning over how adorable this kiddo is.  No one can resist those chubby cheeks and big brown eyes.  He was thankfully still in a great mood too. 

 Then it was time.  The anesthesiologist assistant came and took him from me.  They said it would be quick in case of separation anxiety, but Quinton didn't cry.  He was too busy starring at the assistant's surgical hat (this kid has a thing for hats) and I guess never made a peep all the way into the OR.  They did their little gas mask thing and inserted his tubes.  He was gone no more then 10 minutes and then they brought him back to me.  The assistant was carrying him in and I said, "oh baby"  but managed to not cry! There was so much relief having him back in my arms.  He was still asleep when he was placed in my arms, and he was a bundled up and still sucking on his binky.   They forewarned me of his reaction to coming out of it, and boy did he deliver.  He started out quietly whimpering, but soon was full blown melting down.  They say it's very disorienting for the kiddos to come to and that's why they freak out.  I thankfully managed to stay calm and just tried to comfort him.  Our doctor came and gave us a quick report on how it went, saying it went smoothly but he did have fluid behind one of his ears and we were headed towards another ear infection had we not done tubes.  So thankful that we made the decision to just move forward with them.  After about 10 minutes they released us to go home.  He cried the whole way home.  Poor baby.  He was still sleepy/groggy and when I tried to put him in his crib to sleep more he whimpered.  So I put him in my Ergo where he slept for about 30 minutes.  Then he woke up and seriously was the happiest baby.  Totally back to his normal self, such a trooper! 
Surgery?  What Surgery??  
Since then he has shown no signs of having surgery or anything done.  We had to do special ear drops for the first three days to prevent infection and he hated doing that but only cried for a few seconds after it was done and then would be fine.  That night at dinner he was especially cute.  I was feeding him and trying to eat my own dinner.  Every time I would turn towards him to give him a bite he would giggle and do his scrunch nose smile.  It was adorable.

The day before his surgery I was starting to freak out a little, ok a lot.  All I wanted to do was sit on the couch and hold him tight.  My dad gave him a special blessing that night (a LDS thing, even though I don't practice anymore some things still are important to me and I knew I wanted this for him) My dad's blessing was just what I needed to hear and I felt much more at peace and calm about the whole thing.  

I just thought this shirt was so cute and so fitting!
Although he is seven months old, his nine month clothing is what fits best right now.  It's just right, so really it won't last long.  I bought this adorable outfit on clearance after last Halloween while preggo with him.  It's a nine month outfit and will fit just right for the month thankfully.  If he needed to wear it past October I don't know if it would work! ha ha ha.
Add caption
We're still working on our solid introductions.  Our experience with trying apples out again (after that first failed miserable attempt back around 5 months) went pretty poorly again.  His poop wasn't normal and he grunted a lot for three days like he was struggling to get things moving.  So I gave up on it.  At least I know that if we ever do need the BRAT diet, apples will do the trick! ha ha ha.  Carrots are still a favorite around these parts.  His other favorite is avocado mixed with pear.  He gobbles that one down so quickly.  We finally introduced squash and we are still on tiny amounts of it, but his tummy finally accepted it.  We are on day three of banana and the last two days almost reminded me of apples, but then he finally pooped yesterday afternoon and then had a normal one this morning so I think we might be ok with banana in very small amounts.  I'd like to try peaches next just because I want to give him more fruits and he's really only been able to handle pear before this.  Poor baby.  I had fully intended to just buy baby food for our big Disneyland trip but am worried now that his stomach is so sensitive he wont be able to handle the store bought food (without a slow introduction of each flavor like we are doing now) so I'm kind of starting to panic on how to pack and store my homemade food for the trip! We are driving and plan on splitting it up into two days, so I'll have to bring a cooler full of ice just for the food I think... store it in a fridge over night (we'll have to request a room with a fridge I guess) and then get fresh ice for day two.  But I'm worried about it staying good/fresh for the whole week.  We leave Sat, drive Sat/Sun.  Disney Mon/Tue/Wed leave Thursday.  Drive Thurs/Fri.  So I need it to stay good that long. I'm freaking out a little.  I thought about buying a couple of the organic pouches and just testing them before we go because honestly it would be sooo much easier to bring premade food.  UGH!
The plan was to attempt to reintroduce my breast milk this month... and I still may try in very teeny tiny amounts, but I'm worried about doing so.  My nephew had some lactose intolerance and started to grow out of it about 12-13 months, but my milk won't last that long in the freezer.  Decisions, decisions!
Messy messy carrot face
At six months he was old enough to do the mommy and me swim class!  But, of course in September I was gone two weekends, Charlie was gone two weekends (WA and OR for me, UT and OR for him) so we just waited until October to start him up.  We got to do one class before our surgery and then had to skip the next because he couldn't be submerged.  Next weekend we will try again though.  He seemed ok in the water and didn't mind it much... until they dunked him.  Then he was pissed.  He didn't want to do anything else.  If I held him close he was fine.  If I tried to put him on the mat he cried.  ha ha ha.  My friends laugh because I never post pictures of him crying and now we finally have one.


This little guy is a rollie pollie ollie!  He rolls all over the place and is never where he starts out at.   Even in his crib he is on one end when I lay him down and on the other when I go get him out.  Diaper changes have entered the Olympic sport phase, I can't get him to hold still for anything!

He's sleeping slightly better.  Usually in bed by eight.  He will wake up once or twice before 11:00pm/Midnight.  After that he tends to sleep until 5/5:30am and then until 7:00/7:30am.  So I can usually get a good solid five hours of sleep in there.  It still kind of sucks, but I'll take a solid five hours over two to three hours of sleep any time.  I know as we settle in with solid food it'll get better and better.  The worse nights are when we try a new food out.

He still hasn't said mama or dada... if you ask Charlie he said dada but I say it doesn't count unless it happens repeatedly after.  I didn't hear it that time or any time since so I say it didn't count.  ;)  There have been a couple of times I thought he said mama, but I'm standing by the same rule for that and since it hasn't happened repeatedly it's not the real deal.

Still no teeth either!  Seriously.  I fully expected his teeth to show up around 10 months like it did for the girls.  But, then I saw those white teeth buds and thought his teeth would show up early, especially since I never saw the buds with sisters.  ha ha ha.  Nope!

I love when we laugh and he laughs along with us.  Like he knows something is funny, but not sure so he just laughs too.  It's especially cute when sisters do it with him.

So there's just a little bit that's been going on for our little guy this month.

LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK QUINTON!

No comments:

Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become.-Louis Mandylor