Monday, April 8, 2013

Craigslist luck

Craigslist has been good to us.  I'm pretty proud of us for actually using it instead of just buying things new.  I think it helps that I've been able to find such good deals!

First was Our couches

Then we got an awesome dresser for our bedroom as well.  We bought the bed itself almost 7 years ago when we first got married so we weren't too concerned about getting the matching furniture at the time.  So now it's been hard to find something that would "match" our bed without just going and buying a whole new bedroom set. This dresser does the trick and I've been very pleased with it.

I also found us some pretty good bar stools   They aren't amazing, have a few dings in the wood.  But they were cheap ($80 for two) and this type usually cost a good $130 each brand new.  So i'm OK with the shape they are in.

My newest find???

A coffee table and two end tables.

Let's start from the beginning   The spec house that we loved in Meridian and copied for this house was staged.  I really liked the coffee table they had set up in there.
 When I asked the interior decorator about it though she had gotten the table from a model home furnishing store and wasn't sure where it actually came from.  So I did some research and just kept my eye out for coffee tables on the internet.  Then I came across it on the Furniture Row website.  It was separated but I just knew it was the right one.
Charlie hated it.  He thought it was hideous.  I was struggling with the idea of paying full price for this set (coffee table, end table, sofa table) when we had gotten our couches so cheap anyway.  So I just kept watching Craigslist.  Everyday I did a coffee table search.  I found a few that were ok, some I even showed to Charlie but none that we really both liked.

On Thursday this EXACT coffee table and two end tables popped up on Craigslist.  OMG!  I sent it to Charlie right away and told him it was fate.  He still hated it.  I kept telling him he had to quit thinking of it as two pieces and picture it pushed together.  Finally I convinced him to at least go to Furniture Row on Saturday and see the set in person (he didn't remember it in the spec home).  We walked in and he was pointing out other sets.  Some were ok, some I vetoed.  I had an idea in my head of what I wanted and I just couldn't get past it.  Then we came upon it and he was all the sudden ok with it.  He said quick call the person see if it's still available.  Luckily I had contacted her the day before to say I was interested but I needed to show my husband the set at Furniture Row because he wasn't sold on them.  So I already had her address and she knew I'd be contacting her one way or the other on Saturday about coming to see it.  So we went to her house and checked it out.  She had the three pieces listed for $450.  It was this coffee table, a skinny end table and a square end table.  (I didn't even know the square end table existed I thought it was just going to be two skinny end tables so I was pleasantly surprised).  There were a few scuff marks but otherwise they were in great condition. Charlie asked her if she'd be willing to take $400 for them and without even a pause she agreed to it.  WOO HOO! So for the price of the coffee table alone we got all three pieces!!! Can you believe it?  I know I can't believe how lucky we've been!  So now I still want the sofa table that matches this set to go in our entry way.  I'm pretty darn sure that even with all this good luck I won't find it on Craigslist... so we'll probably have to pay full price for it.  But heck after all this I'm ok with that.  It will just have to wait a couple of months though. ;)

As far as pictures go of the set in our living room I don't have much.  Right now it's just the couches and finally the tables so it's pretty empty in there.  I'm working on getting everything decorated and once I have a finished room I'll get some good pictures up.  =)  For now I have this though:
WOOOO HOOOOO!

1 comment:

Sharlee said...

I LOVE that coffee table!! Also...I'm super impressed with your bargains...:)

Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become.-Louis Mandylor