First off let me tell you a little something about me. I need sleep. I don't function well without sleep. I'm sure it's not a secret though. What's more is I suck at asking for help (as previously mentioned). LESSON LEARNED.
I went to this sleep seminar right? It started out as a questionnaire based on our routine/sleep habits with Natalia. (It was more toddler focused). The seminar began as more educational, explaining sleep and the different cycles etc. Then we received our sleep plans she had written for us. We got tons of ideas and pointers to help us. It was me and two other mom's with little girls about to turn three. I also received tons of help/suggestions for Lydia. With Lydia it was mostly things I knew I was doing wrong but just didn't know how to fix it. Anyway, we have to wait for a special clock for Natalia to help teach her day/night and when it's ok for her to get up. (which will be more useful once we moved her to a toddler bed but is good to implement now) But, I've already started with Lydia and although afternoon nap didn't go so well, morning and bed time went great. Her key problem is that I was feeding her the bottle as the last step of our routine. She was using it as a "sleep prop" to put herself to sleep. So she'd wake up after a sleep cycle and without the bottle was unable to put herself back to sleep. Which explains the waking up every 45-50 min for the first few hours after going to bed. Which by the way, she hasn't done tonight, she fell asleep around 7:30pm (after feeding her and laying her awake in her crib) and just now I heard her chatting a little in the monitor but she put herself back to sleep. HOOORAY! Anyway, I have to feed her the bottle at the beginning of our routine now and then teach her to fall asleep on her own. It'll be a few more days and a few more nights of her waking up and having to follow some more steps... but I'm hopeful! Then it'll be time to break the swaddle, which I was so scared of doing because I didn't know how but have the info now! Having seen a difference in just one day with Lydia has given me so much hope that in no time we'll have both girls figured out and I'll get some SLEEP!! I also left that seminar feeling a little validated as a mom. I know that some of the things I do with my girls get me the "crazy mom" title... but after that I don't care. For example, leaving Natalia in her crib this whole time (you should see the looks I get for that one) was actually a smart thing to do! Who would have thought! ;) I was actually told that despite my thoughts to possibly move her this summer to not do so until she has phased out her nap. Oh and the fact that she's still napping, not crazy! She's borderline ready, but if everything we do works then we can keep it. If it's still not working then we know the nap has to go. Anyway, I feel like a lot of worry has been taken away. There's a light at the end of the tunnel... and we just started this tunnel. Oh and BTW, before having Natalia I read just about EVERY single book out there on sleep for kiddos, I was obsessed with just learning about different approaches and techniques. And although a lot of it stuck nothing seemed to get me anywhere lately. I was beyond frustrated and didn't know what my next step should be. Thus, leading me to cave in and get the help I needed instead of just turning down the opportunity to go to this seminar out of fear of spilling it all out to a stranger.
Oh and this magic lady? Her name is Shannon Glenn, here is her info if you ever want to look into it:
Shannon Glenn
Certified Child Sleep Consultant
Sleep Well Children Consulting
www.sleepwellchildren.com
After all that excitement we also had date night last night! Went to PF Changs and stuffed our faces. There were a ton of kids out for Prom night. It was kinda fun to watch them... Charlie's and my first date was Prom our senior year of high school. Almost exactly thirteen years ago! YIKES! Then we went and saw The Avengers. First off I somehow manged to buy us 3D tickets online on Thursday. I HATE 3D. It makes my eyes and head hurt oh so bad. But I toughed it out and although I had a major headache last night, the movie was pretty awesome. I love the character of Ironman, and I love Robert Downey Jnr. Although I'm not a comic nerd it was easy to follow and they kept me interested.
Nerdy couple alert. ;)
Anyway, that's all for now folks. I'll keep you all posted on our progress with the sleep training.
Oh, and the big 31... coming soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment