Friday morning we were loaded up and out the door by 5:30am. I know, we're crazy right? My thought process was that Natalia has been waking up around that time to eat and then going back to sleep until around 8:00am. So we thought if we fed her and loaded her up she would fall back asleep and sleep part of the way. Sure enough it worked. My mom sat in back with her to keep her company when she woke up and it totally worked. She was a happy baby during the ride and we were able to stop in Burley for some breakfast. Then we were on our way again. My mom gave Natalia her apple to play with and that worked wonders... we used that time and time again during the weekend when she would get cranky. She would just suck at the spot my mom took a bite out of and it would keep her totally happy. Anyway, she took her usual morning nap and slept most of the second half of the drive. So we arrived in Salt Lake around 11:30am. Walking into that hospital brought back so many memories, good and bad, of last year. I was 4 months pregnant then and now I was carrying my 10 month old baby in... crazy. Oliver was actually in the same hospital room that Derek was in post surgery. The first time I felt Natalia move in my belly I was sitting on the couch in that room reading while Derek slept. Anyway, we went up to the room to see Oliver. He was still being heavily dosed with pain meds so he was sound asleep. That was pretty much how he was all day Friday. Friday afternoon we took Natalia back to apartment that Derek and Ashlee got through Ronald McDonald house. They will have to stay in Utah for about a week after Oliver is released so they wanted a place to stay. It's the same building they had an apartment in last time too. Anyway, we took her there and had her nap and then it was back at the hospital. Not much going on just because Oli was sleeping. Friday night I put Natalia down to sleep in a pack and play and just like in Texas she had a small melt down because of the strange surroundings. She ended up sleeping with me in the small twin bed (which was up against a wall so she wouldn't fall out). I of course LOVED it. =) It's so rare that we get to snuggle like that now because she is so playful and squirmy. I miss those times we got to take naps together. He he he. Anyway we woke up bright and early Sat morning and got ready to go. Of course by the time we were all showered and ready, it was time for her nap. When she woke up we were off to the hospital again. This time Oliver was much more awake, but still laying in bed. Poor little man. You could tell he was in pain, and he would whimper "Ouch Ouch" when he would move. It was so sad, but so cute. But by the afternoon he was moving more and more as they reduced his morphine. When we came back after Natalia's afternoon nap he was up and walking around! We followed them back into the room and Oliver grabbed his blankies and said "On On" to me. I was so happy that he wanted me to hold him. I got a picture of us together that just reminded me of one of my many trips to visit. It was the first time I got to hold him post surgery and he is all snuggled up to me. Anyway, I'm such a proud Auntie. That little guy is the bravest strongest little boy I know! He was improving so fast, and each time we walked into that room we could tell a difference. Sat night went much better for Natalia and she only woke up once! My mom was so sweet and got up with her for me so I could rest. I really wish she would let Charlie do that for me too, then I could get rest here at home! he he he. Anyway, we got ourselves cleaned up Sunday morning and got the car loaded up. Went back to the hospital and did a small Easter with Oliver. His shirt was two chocolate bunnies, one with it's butt bit off says "My butt hurts" the other with his ears bit off says, "HUH?" he he he. Oliver was wide awake then and back to wanting to play on the floor with Natalia. She wore her pretty little Easter dress, and was a pretty cute bunny if you ask me! We took them for a wagon ride through the halls too. That hospital is amazing! They have everything you could possibly want for kids, like those big fancy wagons. We were sad to leave but knew he was in good hands. Plus with his fast improvement we knew he wouldn't be there much longer. So then we took off for home. Natalia slept the first hour and the last hour of the drive. She got a little cranky in the middle, but it was because she had a messy diaper and needed to be changed. We got home safe and sound around 5:30pm. It was soooo exhausting, but totally worth it. I was so happy to see Oliver under such different circumstances. Today he was completely weened off his morphine so he's on just an oral pain med and they took him off his other iv's and fluids. So he's not attached to anything anymore and can just play around the room like a normal little boy. They are saying he'll probably be discharged tomorrow, and then hopefully home in a week. He is such an amazing little boy. I'm lucky to be his auntie!
Little Miss Natalia also turned 10 months on Friday. I wasn't able to do her pictures as usual because we were up so early and on the road. But, I took some cute ones today. I think I might have to ditch the whole paper sign idea because she will not let me put it down without her trying to grab it. She is just the cutest thing ever. She claps and tries to say yay, when you do. She's pretty much crawling now... well kinda. She does her little army scoot all over with her arms, but it gets her where she wants to be. I have to be much more careful about cleaning the floors now because she is all over them. Today, Charlie came home for lunch and was tossing her in the air. She was laughing and then said "dada" loud and clear. It was so sweet to hear her laugh and squeal like that and then through the dada in there. It was like, "ha ha ha ha, ahhh dada!" =) I'm so blessed to be her mommy. She is the happiest baby and so much fun. I love her little nose scrunch she does. She's such a good eater now, and is trying new things all the time. She is such a trooper going on our road trip and being in such a strange place all weekend. In her first year of life she has already been to three other states!
Ok so this has gotten to be a pretty long blog... I think I'll stop for now. I posted a link for her 10 month pictures and the Utah pictures are in that album as well.
Monday, April 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment