
Friday, April 23, 2010
Project Runway Finale
So my friends and I use any excuse to dress up for things. Our latest and greatest idea has been to have a finale party for Project Runway. The kicker is that we have each chosen one of the challenges from the season and have to show up in our handmade outfits. What then follows is pretty darn awesome. Last season I took a $25 wedding dress that I found on eBay and tried to make another dress out of it. It pretty much was a huge disaster. The dye I used didn't work. When I went to cut the fabric it did very weird things (that's what I get for using a cheap wedding dress!) Anyway, I was very disappointed in it. So this season I decided if I was going to spend the money I was going to do something worth while. The challenge I chose was to make an outfit for a little girl and then make a corresponding mom outfit. Perfect for us right? I decided to use a pattern for our dresses, and then twist them a little so they were my own "design" and they looked like they belonged together. I bought the patterns off of eBay for $1.00 each. Patterns are so expensive so I'm glad I thought to go there first. Then went to the fabric store with my coupons and spent $30 on fabric, thread, zippers etc. What takes these designers a day, took me a lot longer. I worked on it for hours at at time over two weekends. But, I was pretty pleased with the outcome. Natalia's dress came out the best. Mine not so much. The straps looked nothing like the pattern and it was too big on me. So I attempted some alterations last minute yesterday and it turned out ok. Not sure if I want to wear it out in public though. So here are some of our pictures. As I get more from their cameras I'll create an album on facebook and post a link on here like I do the other pictures.







Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment