Friday, October 14, 2011

Lydia's Birthday

This is going to get a little long, but I want to get it all down...so bare with me here! =)

So as I had mentioned in my last blog post on Tuesday, I had my membranes stripped at my doc appointment that morning. I had been crampy (as expected) all afternoon but no big contractions. That afternoon we went to Farmstead with Charlie's family and had a lot of fun. Natalia really seemed to enjoy herself, especially on the big bouncy thing. She didn't want to even attempt the pony ride which surprised me because she loves horses so much. We did a lot of walking around that night which was good for me. I was just happy to be out of the house and doing something! We ended up not purchasing any pumpkins thinking it would be cheaper at Walmart anyway. Thus we skipped the hay ride and I had wanted to do the bumpy ride to maybe get labor going... went home a little bummed but still content with our trip out.

We got home and I quickly whipped us up some dinner and we ate. I felt a few contractions, but what else was new right? Well, while putting Natalia to bed with Charlie I started to feel more and they were getting stronger. They didn't hurt yet, just more intense. Cheryl had come over to watch Biggest Loser with me so while we watched our show I decided to start timing them. Low and behold they were coming every 4-7 minutes. Still didn't think too much about it at this point except... just thought they were annoying and it was probably another false alarm. Around 10:30 they did get more painful though and I had a couple that took my breath away. I was able to keep chatting with Cheryl though so I wasn't sure what to do. I went upstairs to talk to Charlie (who had fallen asleep) and asked him what he thought. He of course had no opinion on the matter, so I said I was going to give it another hour and see from there. I was just soo hesitant to go back to the hospital once again if it was nothing and to get sent home once again! When I came downstairs I called Charlie's mom to let her know that this could be it and if we needed to head to the hospital I would need her to come sit at the house with Natalia. So I continued to time them for an hour and they got closer and closer and a bit more painful. Cheryl left at 11:30pm, having stayed way later then usual to make sure I was OK. At that point Charlie woke up to check on me and suggested getting in the tub. All along when I thought about laboring more at home I had thought I would enjoy getting in that tub... but after about 10 min I couldn't take it anymore. I just felt the need to be moving around not sitting still. So I got out and called Debra again to let her know I was pretty sure this was it we would be needing her. She had already left making the executive decision that she wanted to be here in case I needed help. So at this point I'm still breathing through the contractions (about 4 min apart), they hurt but not too bad. I kept moving around the house and got our things together. Once Debra was here we were off!

We checked into the hospital L&D triage about 12:30am. I got checked and was now 4cm dilated (from almost 3.5 at my doc appt that morning) but baby was still high so she wanted me to walk to be sure I was still progressing. So off we went to walk again. At this point we were told that our moms were in the waiting area... wait what?!?! Yeah, sure enough when I had called my mom to let her know we were going to the hospital she had freaked out and dropped her husband Colin off at the house to stay and brought Debra with her to the hospital. We updated them but told them it was going to be a while before they could come in. We did the rounds in the hallways, and I kept breathing through my contractions but they really started to hurt. I was so exhausted and just wanted some sleep! We kept talking and I kept saying how I know this is it and how the other couple of false alarms were nothing to this... laughing at myself for thinking that was the real thing. At 2:15am she checked me again and she said I was a good 4.5cm! WOO HOO!! So we were finally admitted and got settled in into our L&D room. I had wanted to wait a while to get my epidural, but was so tired at this point thought I might as well get it and get some rest. HA!

So anesthesia came in and did my epidural. To me the worst part is the shots to numb my back in preparation to insert the epidural. It doesn't hurt that bad but just really uncomfortable. Once done, we told the moms to go ahead and come in. I got all nice and numb and fell asleep for probably 45 minutes. Not a good nap because I kept getting that falling/ twitch feeling that would jolt me back away. GRR! Then all the sudden I started to feel my contractions again. Same thing happened with my epidural with Natalia, so no biggie... they had anesthesia come in and reboluse it. I was nice a numb again. I of course stalled at 5cm, just like with Natalia so they started a Pitocin drip, just like with Natalia. At this point I start to feel things again. Uh oh! So again they tried to reboluse some meds. BUT, this time I didn't get numb again! In the mean time my contractions are getting stronger and stronger because of the Pitocin. Then my doctor came in and broke my water (she also said I was about 6/6.5cm). I didn't feel that at all, everything around my crotch and legs was TOTALLY numb. My legs and feet were dead weight... but my belly was another story. I was feeling everything and didn't know if I could take it. I was shaking uncontrollably and crying like a mad woman. With each contraction I was able to breath, but was making a weird crying/moaning noise when I would breath out. Charlie was great through this and just stood there the whole time while holding my hands so I could squeeze his. The nurse said I could come get my epidural redone but that would make me even more numb then I already was down there. I was worried about being so numb and pushing so I was super hesitant. So she checked me and said I was at 8cm, so I figured I'd made it this far might as well just hold off!

So I kept at it, and it was AWFUL! I kept saying I didn't know how people did this all natural and chose to do it that way! He he he. I was crying a lot but knew that as soon as I started pushing I would feel better. I tried to stay positive just waiting for the pressure to hit me. At one point the moms were talking about future grandchildren etc... I even went so far to say that even though I hurt and this totally sucked I knew it wasn't going to stop me from wanting more babies. (CRAZY HEAD!) he he he. My doc had to go into surgery at 8:30am and told me it was a quick procedure and to try to hold off for as long as I could. And of course, right at 8:20 I felt the pressure and told the nurse I NEEDED to push! She checked me and said sure enough I was complete (I survived pitocin induced contractions from 7cm-10cm!!) and ready to go... but I had to wait for the doc! She was great though and talked me through it. She got on the phone and found out that my doc had started a little early and should be down in just a few minutes. So I held off as much as I could, breathing and crying... trying so hard not to push when it was all my body wanted to do. Finally with news that she was on her way down I was allowed to start pushing. Oh it felt so good! It was so bizarre how the pain just went away with each push. I was still pretty numb and Lydia's head was caught on my pubic bone because of my narrow pelvis. The nurse had me try a few different positions for pushing to wiggle her around in there. Each time getting a little bit more and more closer. I guess they could see the slightest bit of hair at one point and then I lost momentum or something because it took a while for more of her head to show. The whole time I was pushing I was in good spirits though. Nothing compared to my pushing with Natalia, I just cried a lot and felt beaten, like I couldn't do it. This time I felt good and just kept joking around with everyone between contractions/pushing. Sometimes after that third push I would just shake my head and say I could have given that just a little bit more. It took me a good hour of pushing and then all the sudden I started to feel something on my legs when the moms would touch them. So I asked the nurse to put pressure down there where I needed to focus my pushing, and that was it! I immediately got productive and could all the sudden feel her right on my tail bone. So the doc came back in and within a few minutes she was born at 10:08am! It was the most incredible moment and I could not stop bawling tears of happiness. Lydia let out some good cries right away and her color came right in. She had all this gorgeous dark hair! They weighed her and she came in at a whopping 8lbs 2oz!! And they were worried about me not being able to get a baby bigger then Natalia out! HA! I showed them! I did tear just a tiny bit, two small ones, with two stitches in each one. Again, nothing compared to my first. 21inches and her head was 13 3/4in around.

As tired as we were we welcomed visitors all day Wednesday. Natalia came in and it was so fun to introduce her to her baby sister. She didn't seem too phased by it, and she knew to call her baby sister. My Grandmother had gone to the house to take care of her Wednesday morning so she would have someone familiar to wake up to and then she spent the rest of the day at Ashlee and Derek's house playing. Then she went home with Grandma Debra for the evening. We had a good first night and the nurse had me give Lydia to the nursery for a couple of hours so I could finally get some sleep. I hated giving her up, but knew I needed rest.

We were given the option to stay a second night or just go home. Finally decided to just go home, we were anxious to be with Natalia and I felt pretty comfortable caring for Lydia without a nurse around. Last night went pretty good. It was rough from about 9:30pm-1:00am just because I didn't think Lydia could possibly be as hungry as she was. They say her stomach is only the size of marble when she is born and it grows quite a bit over the next three days, but apparently she grew super fast. he he he. Once I gave her quite a bit of formula (I'm supplementing until my milk comes in) she went down great and I got some good rest.

Anyway, so that's the gist off it all. Now, was it the birth experience I wanted? Not quite. BUT, it was a great experience! As much as it hurt, I would say this was a much better experience then my first one. I still can't believe i did that, and I made another baby... and that I got her out so much easier then the first time. I'm proud of myself for doing this amazing thing once again.

Now we rest and take it easy. I'm sore, but I know it was worse last time. I have to be careful not to pick Natalia up, which totally sucks... but she seems to be doing great. We've had a few meltdowns which I know are part of the adjustment period. But she really is just doing so well so far. Charlie has two weeks off which will be so nice to have him around to help with her.

As far as pictures go, I've been posting in the Lydia Jane album. So check them out. She's a cutie pie!

No comments:

Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become.-Louis Mandylor