Friday, August 8, 2014

Quinton is 5 months

Holy frick.  My baby is already 5 months old.  I'm not ready... I'm NOT READY!  (It doesn't help that my biggest baby is starting kindergarten in just a few short days and I'm already a mess about it)

Why oh why does this time have to fly by so fast?  Why does it seem like they are just so little for such a short amount of time.

I'm absolutely loving this stage... I seriously think it might be one of my favorites.  I love how vocal he is, we call him our baby pterodactyl because he screeches so much.   He smiles, he laughs, he blows raspberries with his lips, he recognizes all of us, he's just the sweetest little guy. He just has the sweetest demeanor and is so happy and smiley.  He loves to just be talked to, played with, loves attention.  He gives his smiles and laughs out so willingly now.  With Lydia she was always so serious and made me work for her smiles/laughs.  I just have to look at him and say Hi Handsome and I get a smile.  Love it. Even when his gas is giving him grief, he usually isn't crying/screaming now... just a lot of grunting ha ha ha.  But on a sleepless nights I'd rather him just be grunting than crying!  Don't get me wrong, he does cry... and sometimes those cries are high pitched and screaming bloody murder, but it's not as bad/as often as it used to be and I'm grateful for that.

When I take him with me on Tuesdays to Cheryl's house to watch The Bachelor he is half of our entertainment.  I lay him on a blanket on the floor and he screeches at the TV almost the entire episode.  ;)  He has a lot of opinions on the quality of people on the show we say ha ha ha. In fact, a couple of weeks ago (7/28) I had him on the floor during our Tuesday night outing and decided we weren't doing enough tummy time, so I rolled him over.  With in seconds he rolled back over onto his back!!  I was so shocked.  So I proceeded to make him do it a few more times.  Both girls hated tummy time and didn't roll tummy to back until way later.  They both did back to tummy first and much later on than four and a half months!

His little teeth are just itching to break through.  I can see the white little teeth buds in his gums, and the spot that they will cut is really jagged so we are on the verge.  He chews on anything he can get to his mouth and drools like crazy.  I'm sure going to miss that gummy smile, but can't wait to see those little toofers.
This was the first day I noticed the little white tooth buds in his gums, they are much more prominent now!  
Ever since we got home from McCall he's been sleeping in his crib.  The transition at night time went a lot smoother than I had thought it would.  Day time is still hit and miss.  For the most part he naps in his crib, but sometimes he'll still wake up around the 45min/1hr mark and I have to put him in the swing for a little longer rest.  We were doing so great at night and getting longer stretches, and then randomly he started waking up every 3 hours again.  So exhausted.  Some times he does better than other times though.  Charlie has been great and I've gotten two nights in the guest room to try and get some solid sleep.  Both times Quinton gave him rough nights and would stay awake for an hour plus during those late night feedings.  I do notice some nights I probably stay and rock him longer then usual... I kind of miss having him next to me in our room.  But I know that he was ready for the change and am hoping that with big sister starting kindergarten next week we will really nail down a schedule and his naps will finally fall in place and we might even start getting even better nights out of him.

I started putting the teeniest amount of rice cereal in his bottles during the day hoping for some better sleep at night (it worked wonders on Lydia) but because of his gas issues it really is the smallest amount ever... and of course it gave him gas.  GRRR.  Last night we were totally thrown off by our Tuesday night... but he slept from about 8-10pm while at Cheryl's and then when I put him in the car seat he woke up.  I got him home fed him and put pj's on him.  He went right back to sleep but woke up 30 min later with some gas.  Finally around midnight he was out for the night and slept until 6am!  Woo, that's six solid hours he slept.  I put him in the swing then and he slept until 8am.  (Too bad our fire alarm in the piano room started beeping around 1am with a low battery or I would have really gotten a good nights sleep!!)

I might end up skipping rice cereal because of the gas though.  The other day while eating lunch he was staring down my food and watching my every bite.  That's usually a huge indication that they are interested in solids, so probably in a couple of weeks here I'm going to get my butt in gear and start making his food so we can give solids a try.  I'm super excited to make food again.  It worked out so well with Lydia and was so cheap... and way less intimating/time consuming than I thought it would be.  Plus this time they've come up with that handy gizmo and reusable pouches for home made food that I was lucky enough to obtain.

I feel like all I'm writing about is sleep (and gas)... I must be sleep deprived ha ha ha.
He has the most adorable cheeks and fat rolls.  This kid is a chunk, but man is he adorable.  Seriously the cutest little guy ever.  He wears a size 2 diaper (but probably not for much longer) and 6 months/6-9 months clothes.  I bought so much of his clothes before he was born off of another mom on Facebook.  It was just big bags full of clothes so I wasn't sure what seasons I was getting etc.  Anyway,  a lot of his 6-9 months stuff was winter so I've had to reevaluate his wardrobe and get more summery 6-9 months stuff so he has some clothes for the rest of summer ha ha ha.

Testing out the hiking backpack I got for super cheap on Craigslist, he's still a little small for it but that's ok it's too hot to go still! 
Check out this stud!

I don't know if there he could be any cuter!

Another failed test.  Lydia loved this bath seat, but Quinton is again still too small for it.  His weight wouldn't hold down the seat and I couldn't attach it in our big tub so I had my feet in there holding him down.  I attached it to the tub upstairs but will have to wait another month or two to give it a go again. 

This is my view during feedings at night/bedtime.  When he's super tired he puts his arm across his eyes like this and then plays with my fingers.  So cute. 

She still to try and hold him, but he's getting so big she can barely hold him up!
Oh these three.  They can drive me absolutely batty, but man do I adore them.  They are my whole world and I'm so happy I get to be their mommy.  
I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK QUINTON!!!  
Please slow down a little bit, I just can't handle you growing up so fast on me.

No comments:

Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become.-Louis Mandylor