Friday, January 3, 2014

30 weeks/ultrasound update

I've been pretty sporadic with my pregnancy updates.  Meh, that's what happens when you have two other kiddos right?  I've been trying to keep up with belly shots every two weeks though and it usually falls on an odd week, so I don't have one for 30 weeks.  But, I did want to update with my ultrasound pics and our news thus far.

So to recap:  at my 20 week ultrasound it was found that the edge of the placenta is right up on the opening of my cervix.  So not placenta previa, but close.  Because I hadn't had any issues with spotting or bleeding my doc wasn't too concerned, and neither was I.  It's been odd because I'm really at peace with it all and will do whatever it takes to get him here safe and healthy.  Normally I'm such a worry wart even when it comes to things like this that I can't control.  Yeah I would love to be able to do a vaginal delivery and really go at it naturally this time... but if I have to have a c-section I'm ok with that.

My doc wanted to do an ultrasound at 30 weeks to see if my placenta would move as he got bigger.  So yesterday we went in to check.  I invited my mom along since she's been feeling like she's missing out on the pregnancy being in Colorado and she's in town for the moment.  They did a quick scan of his location and of course the little stinker is breech.  I could tell right away, and I had my suspicions anyway.  Whenever my stomach gets all lopsided and I get this big hard spot to the right I figured it was his head because the girls did the exact same thing to me.  Sure enough as soon as the tech put the wand down in that spot you could see his skull.  STINKER!  So if I end up with a vaginal delivery chances are I will also end up with a version to turn him.  Anyway, she does her measurements and then I have to do the vaginal ultrasound as well to get the exact measurements.  And... it's not the greatest.  Good news is that it has moved... bad news is that it's not enough yet. After the ultrasound we met with my doctor and went over our next move.  I have a quick normal check up at 32 weeks because now I'm at appointments every two weeks.  Then at 34 weeks she wants me back in for another ultrasound.  My placenta needs to move another .77cm in the next four weeks.  It moved just over 1cm since my ultrasound 11 weeks ago... so there's still a chance.  If it's 1.9cm/2.0cm then we discuss what I want to do.  Anything over 2cm and I'm good to go.  Just under like that is still a slight risk of bleeding and she wants me to make that decision knowing the risks of bleeding (of course if there is any indication of bleeding during an attempted vaginal delivery I get rushed into an emergency c-section).

Ok got all that?  It's a lot to take in and a lot for  us to consider.  So we are still in a holding pattern really.  At 34 weeks if it's not moved enough she said we can go ahead and schedule my c-section if I want.  Charlie and I talked about it and we want to see if she'll wait until 36 weeks maybe to check one more time before making the big decision (if there is one to make).  Again, really I'm ok either way.  But as far as recovery goes I'd prefer to do this naturally.  Thankfully my mom plans on driving back here end of February and staying a month so if I do have to have a c-section, between her and Charlie I'll have tons of help.

Other then all that he's perfect and great she says.  Even said he looked super cute. (but we all know that right?  Just look at his big sisters he he he)  My fluid levels are good and my cervix is nice a long.  Which is a good news considering all the contractions I've been having.  If they were really doing anything to my body then my cervix would be shortening.


In other pregnancy related news, I've got some weird hip pains going on.  It's just on my left side and it likes to shoot down my leg at times.  If I'm still for too long (like sleeping, sitting watching TV etc) then it gets all stiff and hurts more.  I remember hip pains with Natalia but it was both sides, so who knows.  It's actually feeling a little bit better today.  I think that has a lot to do with my going to the gym this morning though. While my mom was here she joined Golds on Eagle Rd.  They had an amazing deal for only $20 a month, and she talked me into joining too.  I know that to prep my body for what's to come I need to start walking/exercising.  Especially if I want to do it natural!  Being that it's so stinking cold out though I really don't want to make the girls freeze in the stroller.  I had originally planned to start using the elliptical we have here at home anyway, and will try to do it on days I can't make it to the gym.  (I know I should have started sooner in the pregnancy but better late then never right??)  What really got me sold on the  idea of a gym was the free childcare that came with my membership and the cardio cinema they have.  It's treadmills, elliptical, and bikes in front of a huge movie screen.  Today was our first go.  I was a little nervous about dropping the girls off, they've never been in a daycare/nursery setting like this. Thankfully they have each other and I really think that helped because they both walked right in after kissing me goodbye. No tears.  I wandered off into the cardio cinema and got on a treadmill.  Didn't think I'd make it that far since I'm so out of shape.  But I got into the movie they were showing and before I knew it 40 minutes had passed! I might have gone for a full hour but I was starving and it was getting close to lunch  so I figured I should get the girls and head home.  Natalia said they had fun and when I asked if it was ok to come back she said yes... so that puts me at ease about leaving them in there.  (too many bad memories of working the day care at our old gym and poor kiddos who would just scream the entire time I guess)  I didn't ever think I'd be the gym type, but maybe I could be??  ;)

Anyway, today has been one of those days that I feel totally on my game as a mama.  I've done so much around the house and got in my 40 minutes of walking.  Girls have been so good today/no meltdowns and after I'm done typing this up Natalia wants to work on a project so we'll do some sort of artsy thing.  I'm sure I'll sleep like a log tonight!

I've got another blog post in the works for our New Years/Sibling date night that will have to wait.  =)

No comments:

Don't let your past dictate who you are, but let it be part of who you will become.-Louis Mandylor