Yikes.
So my little dude turned six months old... and before I knew it we are well on our way to turning seven months old and I've still yet to write his six month blog. WHOOOPS.
First it was because I wanted to wait until his six month check up to get his stats. Then it was because at that appointment we decided to move forward with his tubes so we scheduled an appointment with the ENT and I wanted to have that consultation appointment so I could include that info in the blog. Let's face it, life got busy and I just didn't get around to it. So here I am trying to jot down what I can before he goes and turns seven months on us! His appointment with the ENT is this Wednesday the 24th, and I'll try to get something down about it sooner rather than later. ;)
This little man.
I adore him to pieces.
But, the first six months of his life have been hard. I mean HARD. I wasn't challenged this much with either of the girls and I just wasn't prepared for so many obstacles. Because I love that little chunk o munk of mine so much it made it even harder to see him in pain and know that I just couldn't seem to fix it.
I tried to introduce baby food at 5 months, starting with rice cereal. It was a nightmare. His gas was awful, he was constipated for two days. We didn't sleep. So I gave it up and skipped to baby food. I went to town making my own sweet potato, carrots, squash, apples, and bananas. The first day or two on sweet potato seemed ok, he was gassy but ok. Then I tried to add apples. He got so gassy, so fussy, and again he didn't poop for 2 1/2 days! I met with the other pediatrician in our office because ours was out that day, and she suggested a little bit of juice to get him moving again. We also discovered another double ear infection. She said we should wait out this round of antibiotics then try to start solids again. She also said we should talk to our normal pediatrician about moving forward with tubes because he was headed for a rough winter. It was a slow 10 days. He was hungry because formula isn't going to sustain a big guy like him, so he was waking up every two hours at night for a bottle. Finally two weeks after that appointment we had our six month check up with our pediatrician. We'd finished our round of antibiotics and I was eager to get moving on food again. She suggested that because of his dietary issues we just needed to go slow with introducing new foods. Rather then go 2-3 days between new foods, give it more like 4-5 days. She also agreed with the tubes direction. The girls have such a bad history with ear infections that more than likely so will Quinton. Plus we haven't even entered the cold/flu season/ winter weather and he's already had two really bad cases. Natalia being in kindergarten now also means every germ going around is going to be brought home. So we thought maybe we could jump the gun and give him tubes to see if we can prevent a rough winter for both of us.
Six month stats:
Height 2ft 2.5 in (37%)
Weight 18lbs 10oz (68%)
Head 18.25in (99%)
As if I didn't need more proof that his head is ENORMOUS!
Just for comparisons sakes...
Lydia (6 months): Weight 16.7 lbs (60%) Height 26 3/4 in ( 98%) and her head 75%
Natalia (6 months) : Weight 16lbs 14oz Height 27in
Natalia (6 months) : Weight 16lbs 14oz Height 27in
So um yeah... this kid is a chunk. A full 2lbs heavier than either girl. Ha ha ha. And shorter than both too. Yikes. But boy do I love all that chub.

Round two of baby food attempt... and it's been a huge success!! Let's start with the fact that I've been mixing in probiotics into one bottle each morning. I don't know if that has helped or if his stomach was just ready this go around, but honestly I'm not willing to find out. Our doctor mentioned the studies of probiotics helping gas/colic and I've got a friend who's had success with her little one... so I'm going to stick with it. We've gone through Sweet potato, Pear, Carrots, and Apple (first day was today) so far. Each one gives him a little bit of gas the first day but then he seems fine (which is exactly how the girls were too, so it's more of what I expected). The good news is he is also pooping regularly! ha ha ha. I'm going to give it about a month and then we will see if maybe I can give him a little bit of breast milk in his bottles each day too. That would be amazing. His very very favorite is Carrots so far. Seriously he loves them so much.
So he finally started sleeping 3-4 hours at night since his little tummy was getting more food. Then that little stinker decided to start rolling every which way... and when he was pissed in his bed he would roll onto his stomach, in the swaddle. Talk about scaring the poop out of me. (he did it twice in one day and it was enough for me to call it good and decide to get rid of that sucker) Yes, he was still being swaddled. I'd attempted to get him out of it once by sleeping with him in the guest bed and having him loose... and it was so freaking awful that I gave up. Like I said, it's been hard and I didn't want to make life harder on us. Anyway, it took a few days of not so good sleep and not the happiest of baby/mommy... but we are officially swaddle free. It has made such a huge difference in his sleep routine and his sleep patterns it's insane!
I don't know how else to describe the change in pace, but just that I feel like we finally turned a corner. He's sleeping better, he's eating better... his gas has been manageable or completely non existent. It's just been so. much. better. He goes down to bed about 7pm/8pm at the latest. The last few nights he would wake about 3:30am for a bottle and then about 7:30am because he'd pooped. Last night it was 8:00pm down, woke up at midnight drank 6oz and then slept until 8:00am!!! The hardest part is he loves those same thin blankets that Lydia loves and he does sleep better if he has one in his crib with him. He snuggles his face into it... and that also scares the poop out of me. He rolls around so much in there i'm afraid of him tangling himself up in one. At one point I found little 12X12 lovie sized ones for Lydia on one of my moms groups on Facebook though, so today I went on Ebay to see if I could find boy ones and sure enough there they are. I ordered a couple of them and I hope they will do the trick.
Some other things about this little guy
Other than his gas issues. He is seriously the sweetest baby. He is always willing to smile and laugh for us. I adore those smiles. We just got back from our weekend coast trip just Charlie and myself
(hoping to not take forever to blog about that!) and this little guy is full of love for his daddy. When daddy left to go back to work at lunch today it was the end of the world and Quinton started to bawl. Seriously. I thought he was a mama's boy... ha. When daddy got home from work today Quinton started to freak out in his bumbo until Daddy picked him up. No time to say hello to sisters, his demands were immediate.
(hoping to not take forever to blog about that!) and this little guy is full of love for his daddy. When daddy left to go back to work at lunch today it was the end of the world and Quinton started to bawl. Seriously. I thought he was a mama's boy... ha. When daddy got home from work today Quinton started to freak out in his bumbo until Daddy picked him up. No time to say hello to sisters, his demands were immediate.
His sisters are pretty funny and will do pretty much anything to get him to laugh.
He discovered his feet and toes. He's always grabbing on to them and trying to get those piggies into his mouth.
Like I said before, he rolls all over the place now. Tummy to back and back to tummy. He starts in one spot in the room and will be across the room before you know it.
Still no teeth!! Can you believe it? Those suckers are seriously right there... but just will not pop through. COME ON!
I want him to be an Ewok for Halloween. (all for daddy's Star Wars obsession) I found this fun idea on Pinterest where you just take a bear costume and add a t-shirt and ta da! Anyway, the first costume I ordered the head piece was EXTREMELY small. Even compared to the size of the rest of the costume. So of course on Quinton the head piece was ridiculous.
![]() |
| I couldn't stop laughing it was so small! |
He's wearing size 3 diapers and mostly 6/9months or 9 month clothing. The 6 months stuff is snug. He's a big guy!
![]() |
| Natalia snuck this picture onto my phone and I love it. |
LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment